Yenisehir, Bursa

Yenisehir is a municipality and district of Bursa Province, Turkey. Its area is 720 km2, and its population is 54,844 (2022). It is 52 km far from the east of Bursa and Bursa city center. Bursa's international airport is within the borders of Yenisehir. For this reason, the airport is called 'Yenisehir Airport'.

The district economics is agriculture- and livestock-based. Although founded by the municipality in 2004, the Yenisehir Organized Industrial Zone began the industrialization boom. It is the number one district of Bursa, especially in the export of agricultural products. Tomato and capsicum cultivation is world famous.

The region has a mild Marmara climate.

It is located close to Inegol and Iznik. Some of the people of Yenisehir go to Bursa and Inegol to work. Yenisehir is neighbor to Kestel in the west, Inegol in the south, Iznik in the north, Orhangazi in the north-west and Bilecik in the east. The total population of the district is around 52,200.

Yenisehir, which was established by building permanent houses for the first time from the tent life in the Beylik period of the Ottoman Empire, was used by the Ottoman Army in Anatolia and Middle East expeditions due to its wetland and wide plain. The city was founded by Osman Gazi, where for the first time, a sermon was read, coins were printed, taxes were collected, a regular army was started to be established, and the first law (edict) was commanded here. Then the city was the capital for a short time (29 years) (although Sogut is also claimed to be the capital) and the city handed over the duty as capital with the acquisition of Bursa. The district is one of the developing districts of Bursa province.

The known history of Yenisehir dates back to the beginning of the 14th century. It was connected to the Ertugrul sanjak, where Bilecik was the center at that time, and continued this position until 1926. Iznik was the subdistrict of the city between 1926 and 1930.

After the capture of Kopruhisar and Yarhisar in the years when the Ottoman Empire became a state, Osman Bey gave this region to his veterans as a sword right. Yenisehir became known with this name for the first time since it was opened for construction. In the book "Ottoman History", written by Ismail Hakki Uzuncarsili, the phrase "A Turkish city was established in the plain and a headquarters was built because it was close to the battlefield".

In the light of this information, it is understood that Yenisehir was established as a Turkish city and opened to residence. From 1867 until 1922, Yenisehir was part of Hudavendigar vilayet. Yenisehir, a 680-year-old Turkish city, was occupied by the Greeks during the Turkish War of Independence/Greco-Turkish War between 27 October 1920 and 6 September 1922. During the Greek occupation, many massacres took place against the local Turkish population committed by the Greek Army as part of the wider Yalova Peninsula massacres. On 6 September 1922, the city was liberated from the occupation. The establishment of the villages goes back to old times, for example, the Yarhisar neighborhood is known to have Tekfur barracks during the Byzantine period. Likewise, Akbiyik and Suleymaniye villages have remained from the Byzantine period (castle). The Ottomans built many historical monuments in the city. 10 of the 17 mosques in the district center belong to the Ottoman period. Some of the mosques and baths built in villages were built during the Ottoman period. Other historical monuments in the district are Babasultan Lodge, Sinanpasa Mosque and Caravansary, Ciftehamamlar, Suleymanpasa Mosque and Mausoleum, Palace Bath, Shemaki House.

While describing the history of Yenisehir, it made it easier to tell that Osman Ghazi, the founder of the Ottoman Empire, spent his childhood in the Yarhisar neighborhood, and won great victories against the Byzantines in the Koyunhisar plain. The Ottomans also went to the west in several wars. In these wars, Osman Bey's nephew Aydogdu Bey was martyred. His grave is still in Koyunhisar neighborhood.

There are 71 neighbourhoods in Yenisehir District:

The district, which is located 52 km east of Bursa and joined the Ottoman territory in the period of Osman Gazi, was granted to the veterans by Osman Gazi under the name of sword right. The city, which was established at the location opened to living, was named Yenisehir.

It has rich historical artifacts from the Ottoman period. The Palace Bath, which was left behind from the palace built by Osman Gazi in Yenisehir, is the Postinpus Baba Lodge from the period of Murad I. Voyvoda Mosque (Cinarli Mosque), built in the 14th century, Koca Sinan Pasha Complex, Bali Bey Mosque, built in the 16th century. Ulu Mosque, Suleyman Pasha Complex, built by Orhan Bey, Double Bath, built by Huseyin Pasha of Yenisehir in 1645, Yarhisar Village Orhan Mosque and Clock Tower are historical buildings worth seeing. In addition, there are historical tumuluses in Barcin Neighborhood of Yenisehir.

The main income source of the district is agriculture. 78.7% of the total population lives on agriculture. All villages provide their livelihood with agricultural production, and 10,789 people of the district center's population also provide their livelihood with agricultural production. Industrialization in the district, where agriculture can be made in approximately 65% of its land, has started to develop. In 2004 and in the total area of 173.5 hectares in the Organized Industrial Zone, by Turkey Glass Bottle Factories, Anatolia Glass Yenisehir Inc. and Thrace Glass Yenisehir Inc., two factories operating in the field of glass packaging and flat glass were established. The total number of workers working in both factories is 1,064.

In addition, there are 2 vegetable oil factories, 3 flour factories, 1 dairy factory, 3 dairy workshops and 1 auto spare parts mold production factory. 343 people are employed in these facilities.

It was built in the 18th century by the Shemaki family who came to Anatolia from Shemakh town of Iran and settled in Yenisehir. On the ground floor of the two-story house there is a stony kitchen and a cellar to the right and two winter rooms to the left.

You can go upstairs with wooden stairs adjacent to the kitchen wall. Facing the garden, the front facade opens to the outside with arched sections in the form of porticoes. There is a big room opening to the sofa with iwan on the left and two rooms, one on the right and one on the small. Pen works with ornamental motifs and landscape decorations adorning the house from the 19th century.

There is no bathhouse part that is said to be located in the garden today.

Yenisehir Shemaki House Museum is open to visitors every day except Monday.

Yenisehir is 25 km from Iznik district in the north, 27 km from Inegol district in the south, 45 km from Bilecik province in the east and 52 km from Bursa province in the west. There are scheduled bus services to Yenisehir from all four cities.

At Bursa Yenisehir Airport, scheduled civil flight services and cargo transportation can be made.

Visual media service was provided for a period under the name of Yenisehir TV (Yorem TV). There was also a radio publishing house broadcasting on the FM band called Radio Sirdas locally. Today, there is no active radio and television channel in the district. Representations of national and regional news agencies and media organizations are located in the district.

Some non-governmental organizations operating in the district are: